Medicare Advantage is an alternative to Original Medicare that can offer you the same benefits and more. With the Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) coming up, it’s time to make sure your Medicare plan is meeting your health care needs. Here are some of the benefits that Medicare Advantage plans can offer you.
All the Benefits of Original Medicare and More
Medicare Advantage plans are required by law to include all the benefits of Original Medicare Parts A and B. This means that if you’re in a Medicare Advantage Plan, Original Medicare will still cover things like emergency, urgent and hospice care.
Many of these plans offer more than Original Medicare, too. These may include coverage for dental, vision, and hearing care, as well as prescription drug coverage and even gym memberships.
Convenient and Personalized Medicare Plan Structures
With a Medicare Advantage plan, all your coverage needs are in one convenient plan. Hospital, medical and prescription drug coverage in one easy-to-manage plan with options that fit your needs. Plus, you work with only one plan administrator who can answer all of your questions and make sure you’re getting exactly what you require.
These plans also offer different plan types based on your personal situation. For example, certain plans can offer provider freedom or help with medical costs if you have a chronic health condition.
Medicare Advantage Can Lower Costs
These plans can cost less than other plans and Original Medicare. It varies plan to plan, but many offer lower premiums and less cost-sharing. There is also a limit on out-of-pocket spending each year. Once you have spent that maximum, you pay nothing for covered medical services for the remainder of the year. Original Medicare does not provide a maximum out-of-pocket cap, so your potential expenses are limitless.
Coordinate with Health Care Providers
Medicare Advantage plans typically are managed care and have networks of contracted health care providers. These plans help coordinate care among your health care providers, meaning that the providers you visit will be in communication with each other to provide you with coordinated, effective medical care.
Everyday Medicare Advantage Extras
One of the more exciting aspects of some Medicare Advantage plans is the extra benefits offered. These can include extras that you won’t get anywhere else. Plans with these benefits will cover a certain amount to help with costs and other medical needs. Here are a few of the benefits you can get:
- Transportation – Cover the expense of travel to your health-related appointments or to obtain a plan-covered service
- Personal Home Helper – Receive home health aide services such as help with chores, daily activities or respite care when recuperating
- Assistive Devices – Offset the cost of purchasing and setting up assistive or safety devices
- Adult Day Center – Receive occasional day-time supervision and assistance
- Healthy Meals and Pantry – Receive food and meals as well as dietary consultations
- Fitness Center Membership – Free access to a participating gym including classe.
- Health and Fitness Tracker – Cover the cost of fitness device to track activity and provide accountability for health outcomes
- Service Dog Support – Offset the cost of food and supplies for ADA service dogs
- Pest Control – Cover the cost of quarterly preventative treatments or one-time eradication of disease-carrying pests
Some plans even include allowances for over-the-counter pharmacy supplies and personal emergency response systems. Every carrier offers a different mix of plan benefits that our Medicare agents can review with you.
Medicare Advantages can offer you benefits that you won’t get with Original Medicare, but it’s not right for everyone. Our Medicare agents can help you make sure you’re getting the most out of your plan benefits, and if not, they can see if there is another plan that better suits your needs. To get help reviewing your plan benefits, meet with one of our experienced Medicare agents today.