When it comes to stroke, every second counts! Nearly 2 million brain cells die each minute a stroke remains untreated.
Rapid access to medical treatment often times make the difference between full recovery and permanent disability.
Know the signs of a stroke and act F.A.S.T. (face drooping, arm weakness, speech difficulty). Time to call 911 if someone is having a stroke.
- Stroke can happen to anyone at any age.
- 80% of all strokes are preventable.
- Stroke is the fifth leading cause of death in the U.S. and a leading cause of severe disability.
- On average, one person dies from stroke every 4 minutes.
- More than 795,000 people have a stroke each year in the U.S.
Stroke kills almost 130,000 of the 800,000 Americans who die of cardiovascular disease each year—that’s 1 out of every 19 deaths from all causes.
Prevent stroke by following the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Life’s Simple 7 tips:
- Manage blood pressure
- Control cholesterol
- Reduce blood sugar
- Get active
- Eat better
- Lose weight
- Stop smoking